Last year there were 2 million auto accidents in the country. Maybe you know someone who was involved in one. Or maybe you were the victim. If that’s the case, you should look for an experienced San Diego auto accident victim lawyer. Whether you’ve lost a loved one or have experienced a catastrophic injury as the result of an auto accident, the attorneys at the Law Offices of Elliott N. Kanter are here to help you.
Fight for your rights. Call the Law Offices of Elliott N. Kanter for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation.
WHAT TYPES OF COMPENSATION CAN A LAWYER HELP YOU RECOVER AFTER AN AUTO ACCIDENT?
If you are involved in an auto accident caused by someone’s reckless or negligent driving, even the most skilled attorney can’t turn back the clock, but we can help you get the resources to cover medical and vehicle costs. The total settlement you will receive depends on a variety of factors including the severity of the injury, recovery time, time off of work, the emotional extent of the trauma, and any possible medical bills. Expenditures covered may include:
- Medical care costs.
- Any future medical care costs.
- Monetary recovery for the pain and suffering of your physical injuries.
- Financial Health
- Recovery of your loss of earnings and any future losses.
- Reimbursement for your out-of-pocket expenses incurred.
- Rental reimbursement.
- Repair or replacement of your motor vehicle.
EXPERIENCED SAN DIEGO PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEYS CAN HELP YOU DEAL WITH INSURANCE COMPANIES AFTER A CAR ACCIDENT
Sometimes insurance carriers place blame for the accident on the victim even if you are not at fault.
You’ve faithfully paid your monthly premiums to your auto insurance company for years, if not decades. So you might assume that now that you’ve had an accident, your insurance company will be there to take care of you. This can be a very costly assumption to make. In fact, sometimes insurance carriers place blame for the accident on the victim even if you are not at fault. You need an experienced lawyer who will look out for your best interests and fight the insurance company for the compensation that you deserve.
LAWYERS FROM THE TOP LAW FIRMS IN SAN DIEGO EXPLAIN WHAT TO DO IF YOU’RE IN A CAR ACCIDENT
No driver ever expects to be in a car accident, but you should always prepare just in case it does happen. We hope you’re never in an accident but if you are:
- Keep calm. You’ve just gone through a frightening experience but it’s important you follow through the next steps. Take a few moments to get yourself together and recall what you have to do to protect your rights.
- Move off the side of the road. If possible, warn traffic with cones or flares or hazard lights flashing. If someone can’t physically move, keep them where they are until medical personnel arrives.
- Get help. Call police and emergency medical personnel if needed. It is always necessary to call the police after an accident, otherwise, they will not be able to take an official report of what happened and who was at fault. If you are injured but are not sure whether you need medical attention, always err on the side of caution and call for it. Some injuries that can occur as a result of a car accident are not immediately visible or may not seem serious at first. But, hours later, you may start to experience pain and other symptoms. That’s why it’s so important you seek medical attention right away after an accident, and if you do, make sure you keep all medical documentation related to your treatment so you can track every medical expense you have paid.
- Gather information about other drivers involved. Exchange information with involved drivers.
- Phone number
- Driver’s license number
- License plate number
- Insurance company and policy number
- Description of the other vehicle
- Do not discuss the case. While it is important to exchange information, victims should not discuss the accident before seeking representation from an attorney. Admitting liability to another driver may be used against you later.
- File a police report. You might not think this is necessary but this may help in documenting your case with the insurance company later.
- Document the scene. Take a picture if you have a camera or cell phone camera. (Hint: Or keep a disposable camera in the glove compartment.) Also note the time of day, road conditions, weather, or any other possible influencing factors. Be sure to document as much evidence as you can including property damage, traffic signs or signals, your injuries, and any debris that may be laid out on the street as a result of the impact.
- Get information from witnesses. Get the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of any witnesses who saw the accident. Ask them to provide you with a brief statement at the scene of the accident. Their memories may be foggy later, so it’s best to get their version of what happened right there at the scene.
- Contact your insurance company. Call your insurance company and report the accident. They will follow the normal claims process, which involves investigating the loss, taking statements, and inspecting the damage to both of the involved vehicles.
- Contact an attorney. If you have been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence, you will need a personal injury attorney to fight for your rights. Remember, insurance companies do not have your best interest in mind. These companies are more concerned with profits than people, so don’t expect them to offer you a fair settlement without a fight. In fact, they are known to initially offer less than worthy settlements. Our attorneys will make sure that does not happen. The sooner you can contact one of the lawyers at the Law Offices of Elliott Kanter, the faster he can begin working on your personal injury case to help you get the compensation you deserve.
BE SURE TO CONTACT A LAW FIRM IN SAN DIEGO IMMEDIATELY AFTER A CAR ACCIDENT
If your injuries or property losses are extensive, the sooner you contact an attorney, the better off you’ll be. The Law Offices of Elliott N. Kanter are here to help you in every way possible. Our law firm can answer your legal questions, help you file a personal injury claim, and fight to ensure you recover damages you need to pay medical expenses and more. You and your family have suffered enough–let our team handle your case from here. We have over 30 years of professional experience representing the best interest of our clients in personal injury cases. Some of our practice areas include wrongful death, car accidents, bicycle accidents, motorcycle accidents, defective products, truck accidents, and pedestrian accidents. Be sure to call us for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation where you will receive legal advice regarding your situation from one of our personal injury lawyers.