Domestic violence laws in California forbid acts of violence or abuse against a spouse or intimate partner. A person who engages in acts of violence can face harsh penalties, ranging from fines, imprisonment, probation, or counseling. Facing domestic violence charges can be incredibly scary, especially if you don't agree with the accusations against you.
But the good news is that you can get your domestic violence charges dropped with the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney. The legal team at The Law Office of Elliott Kanter understands how a domestic abuse charge can impact your life. Attorney Elliott Kanter has over 40 years of experience representing clients in San Diego, CA, and has tried more than 150 jury cases.
How to Get your Domestic Violence Charges Dropped in San Diego
Domestic violence is a serious charge in San Diego, and getting it dismissed on your own can be challenging. However, a skilled San Diego domestic violence attorney can use the following techniques to get your domestic violence charges dropped:
- Obtain a Copy of the Police Report: A copy of the police report is the most crucial evidence to help your attorney pursue the matter and defend your charges.
- Seek Support from the Prosecutor: The decision to pursue or dismiss your charges lies entirely at the prosecutor's discretion. But your lawyer is in the position to convince the prosecutor that abandoning your charges can benefit everyone involved in the case.
- Record a Truthful Account of the Events: In most cases, domestic violence victims give two statements when reporting an event. An oral and written statement is often used in police reports. The prosecutor may dismiss the charges if they believe your charges are based on false accusations or the statement conflicts with the victim's injuries.
Get a Skilled Criminal Defense Attorney
Hiring a San Diego domestic violence attorney who understands the intricacies of San Diego law can help increase your odds of getting your charges dropped. Talk to the devoted attorneys at The Law Office of Elliott Kanter to learn the best options for getting your charges abandoned.
Reasons Domestic Violence Charges Get Dropped
As the defendant, you can get your domestic violence charges dropped under certain circumstances. A few justifications for dismissing a domestic violence charge in San Diego include:
- Conflicting oral and written statements
- Consent from the victim
- No impartial witnesses
- An alibi for the time of the incident
Get Help Today From an Experienced San Diego Domestic Violence Attorney
While domestic violence charges have serious repercussions in San Diego, you can have them dismissed with the help of a criminal defense attorney. Our devoted San Diego criminal attorneys are ready to protect your rights and work with you to have your domestic violence charges dropped.
To find out more, schedule a free consultation online to discuss your case details with our leading attorney, Elliott Kanter.