Navigating the challenges of drug and alcohol addiction can be a daunting experience. If you are caught up in criminal behavior due to drug addiction struggles, you should remember that you're not alone.
At The Law Office of Elliott Kanter, we aim to create a safe space for open conversations, provide legal support, and ultimately help you find justice whenever you are accused of drug-related criminal activity. Remember, there is always hope for a brighter future, and we're here to support you every step of the way.
Common Offenses Caused by Drug and Alcohol Abuse
Some of the most common offenses caused by drug and alcohol abuse include:
- Sexual Violence: This refers to any act of a sexual nature committed against someone without their consent. Some examples of sexual violence include sexual assault, rape, unwanted sexual contact or touching, and sexual harassment. Drugs and alcohol can lead to impaired judgment and difficulty controlling impulses, making them particularly dangerous in the context of sexual behavior.
- Battery: Battery refers to the intentional and unlawful physical contact or use of force against another person without their consent. It can involve hitting, slapping, pushing, or other unwanted touching. Drugs and alcohol can impair your ability to control aggression, leading to battery cases.
- Robbery: Financial difficulties or desperation due to addiction can lead some individuals to commit robberies to obtain money for drugs or alcohol. People under the influence are also more likely to commit robbery offenses since lack of impulse control is a key factor in these crimes.
If you have been charged with a crime related to substance use in California, contact the Law Office of Elliott Kanter for help.
Why Do Drugs and Alcohol Increase Crime?
Alcohol and drugs can increase crime for a variety of reasons, including:
- Impaired decision-making: Alcohol and drugs can cloud a person's judgment, making evaluating their actions' consequences difficult. This can result in impulsive and risky behavior, leading to criminal activities such as theft, violence, or driving under the influence.
- AggressionSome substances, especially alcohol, can increase aggression and irritability, making you more prone to violent behavior. This can result in physical altercations, domestic violence, or other forms of assault.
- Gang and organized crime involvement: The illegal drug trade is often controlled by gangs and crime groups. People in the drug trade may engage in criminal activities such as trafficking, distribution, and violent acts to protect their territory or settle disputes with rival groups.
Have You Been Charged with a Drug Abuse Offense? Contact a San Diego Criminal Defense Attorney Today for Help
If you have been charged with a drug or alcohol-related crime in San Diego, you are likely worried about the consequences and the kind of penalties you could face. At The Law Office of Elliott Kanter, we are here to help.
Our San Diego criminal defense attorney, Elliott Kanter, understands California laws and can provide quality legal advice and representation to help you through this difficult time. Contact us today to schedule a consultation with a San Diego criminal defense attorney.